Place of publishing:
Type of object:
Subject and Keywords:
Over the past twenty years urban “networking” has become a rule of behaviour in the European Union. This article concerns the development of urban networks within the European urban geography. Urban networks have an important role in disseminating a development model for urban areas by bringing together a diverse range of cities around common problems in order to create common understandings of how to address these problems—the new ‘conventional wisdom’. These networks have also developed a range of different methods “to be active” in order to achieve different territorial outcomes. In that sense, which are the outcomes of those cities that have shown a strong “aptitude in urban networking”?
1. Albrecths, L., Hardy, S., Hart, M. and Katos, A. (1995), An Enlarged Europe: Regions in Competition?, Taylor & Francis Group, London.
2. Amin, A. and Thrift, N. (1992), Neo-Marshallian nodes in global networks, International Journal of Urban and Regional Research, 16 (4), 571–587.
3. Amin, A. and Thrift, N. (2002), Cities: reimagining the urban, Polity Press, Cambridge.
4. Atkinson, R. and Rossignolo, C. (2010), 'Cities and the 'soft side' of Europeanization: The role of urban networks, in: Hamedinger A., Wolffhardt A. (eds.), The Europeanization of cities, Techne Press, Amsterdam.
5. Avedano, L. and Rossignolo,C. (2008), '20 Years of urban networks: assessment and learning processes'. Paper presented at the XI EURA Conference, Learning cities in a knowledge based society, Milan, October 9–11, (cd-rom).
6. Bagnasco, A. and Le Galès, P. (eds.) (2000), Cities in Contemporary Europe, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
7. Batten, D. F. (1995), Network cities: creative urban agglomerations for the 21st century, Urban Studies, 32 (2), 313–328.
8. Berg (van den), L. and Klink (van), H. A. (1992), Strategic networks in the competition among European cities and regions, EURICUR, Erasmus University, Rotterdam.
9. Camagni, R. (1994), Il marketing urbano come strumento di competizione fra città, in: Ave, G. and Corsico, F. (eds.), Marketing urbano in Europa, Edizioni Torino Incontra, Torino, 310–319.
10. Camagni, R. and Salone, C. (1993), Network urban structures in northern Italy—elements for a theoretical framework, Urban Studies, 30, 1053–1064.
11. Capello, R. (2000), The city-network paradigm: measuring urban network externalities, Urban Studies, 37(10), 1925–1945.
12. Castells, M. (1996), The rise of the network society, Blackwell, Malden.
13. Cheshire, P. and Gordon, I. (eds.) (1995), Territorial competition in an integrating Europe, Aldershot, Avebury.
14. Commission of the European Communities (CEC), DG XVI (n.d.), European Cooperation Networks, Bruxelles.
15. Dematteis, G. (1994), Global networks, local cities, Flux, 15, 17-23.
16. Dematteis, G. (1996), Towards a metropolitan urban system in Europe: core centrality vs network distributed centrality, in: Pumain D. and Saint-Julien Th. (eds.), Urban networks in Europe/Réseaux urbains en Europe, J. Libbey/Ined, Paris, 19–28.
17. Dematteis, G. and Guarrasi, V. (eds.) (1995), Urban networks, Patron, Bologna.
18. EC, DG XVI (1996 a). Interregional cooperation projects, Third interim report on article 10, Bruxelles.
19. EC, DG XVI (1996 b), Recite II, Dossier informativo, Bruxelles.
20. Jacobs, J. (1984), Cities and the wealth of nations: principles of economic life, Random House, New York.
21. Jensen-Butler, C., Shachar, A. and Weesep (van), J. (eds.) (1997), European cities in competition, Aldershot Avebury.
22. Lever, W. F. and Bailly, A. (eds.) (1996), The Spatial Impact of Economic changes in Europe, Aldershot, Avebury.
23. Pyrgiotis, Y. N. (ed.) (1991), Urban networking in Europe I: concepts, intentions, and new realities, Ekistics, 58, 350–351.
24. Pyrgiotis, Y. N. (ed.) (1992), Urban networking in Europe II: recent initiatives as an input to future policies, Ekistics, 59, 352–353.
25. Robson, B. (1992), Competing and collaborating through urban networks, Town and country planning, 61(9), 236–238.
26. Rossignolo, C. (1998), L'Europa delle città. Partecipazione alle reti urbane e strategie di sviluppo locale, Unpublished PhD thesis, Dipartimento Interateneo Territorio, Politecnico di Torino, Torino.
27. Sassen, S. (2003), Cities in a World Economy, Pine Forge Press, Thousands Oaks.
28. Taylor, P. J. (2004), World city network: a global urban analysis, Routledge, London.
29. Trullén, J. and Boix, R. (2003), Barcelona. Metropolis policentrica ed red, Working Paper wpdea0303, Department of Applied Economics at Universitat Autonoma of Barcelona.
30. Veltz, P. (1996), Mondialisation, villes et territoires. L'économie d'archipel, Puf, Paris.