Development of rural areas can include tourism attractiveness, which also can be developed with consideration for the natural, landscape, social and economic aspects. Tourism can also be a solution for the increase of economic values and life quality of the poorest rural communes. Hence, local authorities increasingly appreciate the role of tourism in their areas as a potential means of their social and economic development. When planning tourist routes, it is very important to remember about the natural potential, together with its protection. On the other hand, the forest, water and valuable protected areas are usually the most important touristic values influencing the general index of the tourism potential. The aim of the present study was to analyse the tourist potential of rural areas before and after the proposed tourism development and establishment of protected areas in a selected commune area – Łubianka, Poland. For this purpose, the tourist, associated and environmental indices were taken into consideration. The current general index of tourism potential classified the analysed area at the lowest level in the region. The proposed tourism development and creation of a nature protection area and objects caused an increase of tourist and associated values of analysed area, improved tourism potential, and placed the commune in a better position in the region. Overall, it can be concluded, that relatively simple activities can improve the tourism potential and furthermore, as a result an improvement in the social and economic status of the local community can be noted.References:
1. Abdollahzadeh G., Sharifzadeh A., 2014, Rural Residents' Perceptions Toward Tourism Development: a Study from Iran, International Journal of Tourism Research, 16, pp. 126–136.
2. Al Mamun A., Mitra S., 2012, A Methodology for Assessing Tourism Potential: Case Study Murshidabad District, West Bengal, India, International Journal of Scientific and Research Publications, 2 (9), pp. 1–8.
3. Andriotis K., 2011, A comparative study of visitors to urban, coastal and rural areas. Evidence from the island of Crete, European Journal of Tourism Research, 4 (2), pp. 93–108.
4. Angelevska-Najdeskaa K., Rakicevikb G., 2012, Planning of sustainable tourism development, Procedia – Social and Behavioral Sciences, 44, pp. 210–220.
5. Ashouri P., Fariyadi S., 2010, Potential assessment of nature-based tourism destinations using MCA techniques (case study: Lavasan-e Koochak), Journal of Environmental Studies, 36 (55), pp. 1–3.
6. Baum S., 2011, The Tourist Potential of Rural Areas in Poland, Eastern European Countryside, 17, pp. 107–135.
7. Berkel D.B. van, Verburg P.H., 2011, Sensitising rural policy: Assessing spatial variation in rural development options for Europe, Land Use Policy, 28 (3), pp. 447‒459.
8. Blancas J.F., González M., Lozano-Oyolaa M., Pérez F., 2010, The assessment of sustainable tourism: Application to Spanish coastal destinations, Ecological Indicators, 10, pp. 484–492.
9. Cater E., 1995, Environmental contradictions in sustainable tourism, The Geographical Journal, 161 (1), pp. 21–28.
10. Cánoves G., Villarino M., Priestley G.K., Blanco A., 2004, Rural tourism in Spain: an analysis of recent evolution, Geoforum, 35, pp. 755–769.
11. Coria J., Calfucura E., 2012, Ecotourism and the development of indigenous communities: The good, the bad, and the ugly, Ecological Economics, 73, pp. 47–55.
12. Czapiewski K., 2013, Spatial development in rural areas – a review of existing sources of information, [in:] P. Śleszyński (ed.) Indices of spatial development of communes, Biuletyn KZPK PAN, Warszawa, 132–142. [in Polish]
13. Durydiwka M., 2013, Tourist function in rural areas of Poland. Spacial diversity and changing trend, Miscellanea Geographica – Regional Studies On Development, 17 (3), pp. 5–11.
14. Fleischer A., Felsenstein D., 2000, Support for rural tourism: Does it make a difference? Annals of Tourism Research, 27 (4), pp. 1007–1024.
15. Gralak K., Długokęcka M., 2004, Place and role of tourism in the social-economic development of communes, [in:] I. Sikorska-Wolak (ed.), Rourism in local development, Wydawnictwo SGGW, Warszawa, pp. 57–65. [in Polish]
16. Gołembski G. (ed.), 1999, Regional aspects of torusim development, Wydawnictwo Naukowe PWN, Warszawa-Poznań. [in Polish]
17. Iatu C., Bulai M., 2011, New approach in evaluating tourism attractiveness in the region of Moldavia (Romania), International Journal of Energy and Environment, 5 (2), pp. 165–174.
18. Jędrzejczyk I., 2007, Place of village in tourism development due to current programming and planning documents, [in:] I. Sikorska-Wolak (ed.), Torusim in rural areas development, Wydawnictwo SGGW, Warszawa, pp. 29–40. [in Polish]
19. Kayat K., 2008, Stakeholders' perspectives toward a community-based rural tourism development, European Journal of Tourism Research, 1 (2), pp. 94–111.
20. Kiryluk H., 2005, Forms of tourism at valuable areas, [in:] B. Poskrobko (ed.), Tourism management in nature valuable areas, Wydawnictwo Wyższej Szkoły Ekonomicznej w Białymstoku, Białystok, pp. 86–99. [in Polish]
21. Kosmaczewska J., 2008, The relationship between development of agritourism in Poland and local community potential, Studies in physical culture and tourism, 15 (2), pp. 141‒148.
22. Kowalczyk A., Derek M., 2010, Zagospodarowanie turystyczne, Wydawnictwo Naukowe PWN, Warszawa. [in Polish]
23. Lozano-Oyolaa M., Blancasa J.F., González M., Caballerob R., 2012, Sustainable tourism indicators as planning tools in cultural destinations, Ecological Indicators, 18, pp. 659–675.
24. Liu A., 2006, Tourism in rural areas: Kedah, Malaysia, Tourism Management, 27, pp. 878–889.
25. Lu J., Nepal S.K., 2009, Sustainable tourism research: an analysis of papers published in the Journal of Sustainable Tourism, Journal of Sustainable Tourism, 17 (1), pp. 5–16.
26. Łuszczyk M., 2010, Conditions of torusim development at nature valuable areas, [in:] Z. Młynarczyk (ed.), Conditions and plans of tourism development, Book V: Natural aspects of tourism development, Bogucki Wydawnictwo Naukowe, Poznań, pp. 9–20. [in Polish]
27. Majewski J., Lane B., 2001, Rural tourism as a stimulator of local development. Sustainable development: conception and reality, [in:] J. Majewski, B. Lane (ed.), Rural tourism and local development, Fundacja Fundusz Współpracy, Poznań. [in Polish]
28. Ogârlaci M., Popa N., 2011, Sustainable development in rural tourism, Agricultural Management / Lucrari Stiintifice Seria I, Management Agricol, 13 (4), pp. 55–64.
29. Padín C., Maga-a I., Svenson G., 2013, Sustainable tourist management: Participation and collaboration for innovation, TÉKHNE – Review of Applied Management Studies, 11, pp. 100–104.
30. Park D.B., Yoon Y.S., 2011, Developing Sustainable Rural Tourism Evaluation Indicators, International Journal of Tourism Research, 13, pp. 401–415.
31. Polucha I., Žukovskis J., 2010, Regional aspects of rural tourism development in the areas with valuable resources: case of Warmia and Mazury region in Poland, Management theory and studies for rural business and infrastructure development, 21 (2), pp. 90–100.
32. Rădac A., Csösz I.I., Iulianamerce I., Matiaş C.G., Dobra C.I., 2012, The benefits of rural tourism, Agricultural Management / Lucrari Stiintifice Seria I, Management Agricol, 14 (4), pp. 369–372.
33. Risteski M., Kocevski J., Arnaudov K., 2012, Spatial planning and sustainable tourism as basis for developing competitive tourist destinations, Procedia – Social and Behavioral Sciences, 44, pp. 375–386.
34. Rogalewski O., 1979, Tourism development, WSiP, Warszawa, pp. 117–118. [in Polish]
35. Sawicki B., Golian S., 2009, Tourism potential of communes located in south parts of Łukowo County, [in:] A. Balińska (ed.), Regional tourism potential, Wydawnictwo FAPA, Warszawa, pp. 21–32. [in Polish]
36. Sikorska-Wolak I., 2006, Tourism as a chance for rural development, Electronic Journal of Polish Agricultural Universities, 9, 4. URL: http://www.ejpau.media.pl/volume9/issue4/art-02.html(Accessed on 14.04.2015)
37. Sikorska-Wolak I., 2007, Socio-economic reasons of tourism function development of rural areas, [in:] I. Sikorska-Wolak (ed.), Torusim in rural areas development, Wydawnictwo SGGW, Warszawa, pp. 13–28. [in Polish]
38. Sikorska-Wolak I., 2009, Determination of tourism functions at rural areas – needs and possibilities, [in:] I. Sikorska-Wolak (ed.), Tourism functions of rural areas, Wydawnictwo SGGW, Warszawa, pp. 23–34. [in Polish]
39. Szczepanowski A.E., 2005, Management of sustainable torusim at nature valuable areas. [in:] B. Poskrobko (ed.), Tourism management in nature valuable areas, Wydawnictwo Wyższej Szkoły Ekonomicznej w Białymstoku, Białystok, pp. 65–85. [in Polish]
40. Van der Merwe J.H., Van Niekerk A., 2013, Application of geospatial technology for gap analysis in tourism planning for the Western Cap, South African Journal of Science, 109 (3-4), pp. 1–10.
41. Williams S., 2000, Tourism geography, Routledge Contemporary Human Geography Series, Routledge, London-New York, pp. 111.
42. Witkowska-Dąbrowska M., 2007, Evaluation of tourism potential of county with high environmental values, [in:] I. Sikorska-Wolak (ed.), Torusim in rural areas development, Wydawnictwo SGGW, Warszawa, pp. 463–477. [in Polish]