Filters

Search for: [Abstract = "The Archaeological Museum of the Polish Academy of Learning was one of the oldest and richest archaeological museums in Poland. The Second World War interrupted the way it had been operating over the years. In September 1939, the German and Russian armies entered the territory of Poland. After more than a month of fighting, in October 1939, the part of the occupied Polish territory that was not incorporated into the German Reich and the Soviet Union became a separate administrative unit, the Generalgouvernement für die besetzten polnischen Gebiet, with Cracow as its capital. Already in the first months of the occupation, Germany forbade the activities of the Polish Academy of Learning and the Jagiellonian University. In November 1939, they carried out the so\-called SonderaktionbKrakau – the arrest of researchers of several Cracow academic institutions. After the liquidation of the Polish Academy of Learning, the Archaeological Museum received the name Landesmuseum für Vorgeschichte. From that time, until the liberation of Cracow in January 1945, the Museum was subordinate to the educational authorities of the Krakau district, one of the four districts of the Generalgouvernement. The Archaeological Museum entered the structure of the Faculty of Knowledge and Science \(Abteilung Wissenschaft und Unterricht\) of the occupying powers. Museum work was continued in the facility throughout the War, and Museum staff also conducted excavations, they also secretly carried out scientific and didactic work, even though it was officially forbidden. The museum did not suffer directly during the War and, unlike other archaeological museums in Poland, did not suffer great losses. Its collections – thanks to happy coincidences and the care of the employees – have been preserved almost entirely."]

Number of results: 1

items per page

This page uses 'cookies'. More information